MAKE YOUR OWN 3D HOLOGRAM PROJECTOR FOR Smartphones or Tablets
STEP ONE – THE TRUNCATED PYRAMID GUIDE
First, we will be making a shape on paper called a “truncated pyramid”(AKA isosceles trapezium) – a pyramid with the point cut off. This will be your guide to make your plastic truncated pyramids later.
1. One a piece of paper, draw a straight vertical line – this will be your center line.
2. Next, you will draw a line that will intersect the centerline (horizontal). This line will measure 1 cm total and will intersect your center line directly in the middle: 0.5 of your horizontal line should extend from the center line to the right, and 0.5 will extend to the left.
3. Now, measure down your centerline 3.5 cm. Your truncated pyramid will be 3.5 cm tall. Your next horizontal line will be 3.5 cm away from the 1cm horizontal line you just drew.
4. The length of your next horizontal line (at the bottom of your truncated pyramid figure) will have a total length of 6 cm. It will be split evenly by the intersecting centerline, so 3 cm will be to the right of your centerline, and 3 cm will extend to the left.
5. Now, you will connect the edge of your top horizontal line to the edge of your bottom horizontal line. You should get your truncated pyramid shape.
6. If you have a protractor, you can check to see if the angles of your truncated pyramid are correct. Position your protractor on the right edge point AKA vertex at the bottom of the pyramid. The angle should be 30 degrees. CHALLENGE QUESTION: What should the angle of the left vertex be? Hint: this angle is the supplement of 30 degrees.
STEP TWO – THE PROJECTOR
You will use the guide you made to make the sides of your projector.
- Position your sheet of plastic over the guide shape you just drew on paper. You will trace the shape on the plastic sheet 4 times (make 4 truncated pyramids on the plastic).
- Carefully cut them out. Try your best to cut exactly on the line and to make sure that all 4 shapes are the same.
- Use clear tape to tape the four sides together. Use only enough tape to hold the sides together as excess tape can make the projected images blurry. You may have to attempt this step a few times to make sure all ides line up properly.
STEP THREE – WATCH 3D VIDEOS
You have completed the construction of your projector! Now to test it out!
1. Check out the Eco Explorers Youtube channel for videos online designed for your holographic projector – you will 3D jellyfish to firebolts and even a dancing Minion!
- Select one of the holographic videos. Place your truncated pyramid in the center of the screen with the topside facing down. Make sure your projector is positioned directly in the middle of the 4 images.
- Dim the lights and enjoy the show!
Download this guide with pictures here.